Grants to start an adult day care center

There are several grants available for state and local governments as well as private and public organisations that want to open an adult day care centre. These centres provide shelter, activities, food and health care to the elderly. Applicants must meet the requirements set by the grant program in order to qualify. These grants may be dispersed on a formula and matching fund basis and are not required to be repaid.

Community Facilities Program

Sponsored by the USDA Rural Development agency, the Communities Facilities Grant Program provides grants to small rural areas that are in financial need. Grants can be used to construct, expand and renovate facilities such as adult day care centres. Equipment can also be purchased with grant funds. To be eligible, communities must have a population of 20,000 residents or less. The grants are awarded on a graduated scale as the communities with the lowest population and income levels will get more assistance. As much as 75 per cent of the costs of the approved projects can be covered under this grant.

Housing and Community Facilities Programs National Office U.S. Department of Agriculture Room 5014, South Building 14th Street and Independence Avenue, S.W. Washington, D.C. 20250 202-720-9619

State Veterans Home Construction Grant Program

State governments can apply for grants through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affair to receive financial assistance for constructing or renovating new or existing adult day health care centres for veterans. The State Veterans Home Construction Grant Program awards grants to eligible applicants to fund building projects for veteran use. Funding amounts cannot exceed 65 per cent of the total project costs and only states can apply for these grants.

Kelly Mingle, Management Analyst
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs 810 Vermont Avenue, NW Washington, DC 20420 202-461-6707

Community Development Block Grant

The Community Development Block Grant program provides eligible neighbourhoods with financial awards to help revitalise their area. This program, funded by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), provides grants that can be used to create decent housing for low-income people, expand economic opportunities and construct or renovate public facilities, neighbourhood centres and residential structures. Eligible communities must be in an urban area and have a population of at least 50,000 and/or counties of 200,000 or more residents. Grants cannot be used for political activities or building facilities for general government conduct.

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development 451 7th Street S.W. Washington, DC 20410 202-708-1112

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author

This article was written by the Pocketpence team, copy edited and fact checked through a multi-point auditing system, in efforts to ensure our readers only receive the best information. To submit your questions or ideas, or to simply learn more about Pocketpence, contact us here.

Try our awesome promobar!