How to Renew Road Tax at a Post Office

If you have received a car tax disc reminder form in the United Kingdom, also known as a V11, you can apply for renewed road tax at certain Post Office branches. A valid road tax disc is a legal requirement for driving in the UK; if you are caught without a valid tax disc you face a fine, wheel clamping or crushing of your vehicle. Your car insurance is also invalidated by not displaying a valid tax disc. Renewing your UK road tax at a Post Office will only take a few minutes.

Gather the required documents and payment method. If you do not receive a V11 tax disc reminder in the post you will need to bring your vehicle registration document (V5C) or, if you purchased the car in the last eight weeks, the tear-off portion of the V5C/2 form.

Visit a motor vehicle license issuing Post Office (see Resources for a branch finder).

Pay the appropriate amount of tax for your vehicle (see Resources for a list of prices). The Post Office accepts cheques payable to "Post Office Limited," debit cards, credit cards, cash, Post Office saving stamps, Postal Order and sterling traveller's cheques.

Wait for your new road tax disc to arrive in the post. Display it inside your windscreen as soon as it arrives.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

Things Needed

  • Car tax disc reminder form (V11)
  • Valid insurance certificate or cover note
  • Valid MOT (if specified on your V11)
  • Valid exemption certificate (if exempt from road tax)
  • Payment method

About the Author

This article was written by the Pocketpence team, copy edited and fact checked through a multi-point auditing system, in efforts to ensure our readers only receive the best information. To submit your questions or ideas, or to simply learn more about Pocketpence, contact us here.

Try our awesome promobar!