The Home Category The Home: family money matters

How to train to be a conveyancer

A licensed conveyancer is a legal professional in the United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand who is trained to offer guidance in purchasing and selling property. A conveyancer is similar to a mortgage or title broker in the United States.

Oftentimes, conveyancers will work under the supervision of a solicitor, who is an attorney. Conveyancers advise clients regarding the costs of a property transaction, complete title searches and draft contracts and other legal documents pertaining to the transaction.

Complete a course accredited by the Council for Licensed Conveyancers. Its websites provides a list of authorised colleges and outlines the course syllabus. It also offers an online distance-learning course. The course is typically part time and is normally completed in 2 to 2 1/2 years.

Fulfil two years of supervised practical training under the guidance of licensed conveyancers or a solicitors firm, bank, lending institution, government office or property developer. You are required to submit a certificate of training signed by your supervisor each year to the Council for Licensed Conveyancers.

Take the licensing exam authorised by the Council for Licensed Conveyancers. You must pay an examination fee. The exam will cover your knowledge of property law.

Submit a completed application, along with the required licensing fee, to the Council for Licensed Conveyancers. Forms are available for downloading on the council's website.

Produce evidence of that your conveyancer practice is covered by insurance. The Council for Licensed Conveyancers will not give a license to anyone who does not submit proof of insurance.


  • Be prepared to come in for an interview. The council has authority to require any applicant to submit to an interview.


  • Your moral and ethical character will be judged by the council. It will not issue a license to anyone it does not deem a good fit for the profession.

Things Needed

  • Conveyancer course
  • Certificate of practical training
  • Licensing exam
  • Proof of insurance