Can I Give My House to My Son?

You can transfer ownership of your home to another person at any time as long as there are no loans, mortgages or liens against the property. Depending on your state, you can either do it yourself, or you may need to hire an attorney to file paperwork for you.

Quit Claim Deed

A quit claim deed is a document used to transfer property between two people, most often family members. Changing the name on a quit claim deed from one family member to another transfers the ownership of the property.

File With the State

You will need to file the transfer of the deed with your local government, most likely the state or county assessor's office. Check with your state and local government to see what they require. In many areas, the government will provide you with the forms. In some areas, you may need to hire an attorney.

Keep the Record

Regardless of whether you do it yourself or hire an attorney, you will need to notarise the document and keep a copy for yourself. Many local government offices offer notary services to citizens.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author

This article was written by the Pocketpence team, copy edited and fact checked through a multi-point auditing system, in efforts to ensure our readers only receive the best information. To submit your questions or ideas, or to simply learn more about Pocketpence, contact us here.

Try our awesome promobar!