Mutual Exchange Rules

The Mutual Exchange scheme is a United Kingdom-based program for tenants in the social housing sector, according to the Choice Homes United Kingdom website. The primary function of social housing is to provide affordable accommodations to low income people. With the Mutual Exchange scheme tenants within this housing sector may opt to trade their properties with each other under certain criteria.

Eligibility and Registering

A tenant in the social housing sector is allowed to participate in the Mutual Exchange scheme provided his landlord is a scheme participant. Access is also granted to people who are not on a housing register but are housing or council association tenants. Compliance with all rules and regulations of the participating landlord is required. To participate in the Mutual Exchange scheme complete and submit the registration application, including your property description and the type of property you desire. Tenants of participating landlords pay no fee for this program, according to the website.


Prior to participation in this scheme there are certain rules with which compliance is mandatory, according to the Canterbury City Council Online website. Exchanges are authorised in writing by the Council prior to any moves. Other rules include not being in arrears on rent payments, decorating inside the dwelling is the responsibility of the exchanging tenant and the existing tenants are responsible for all necessary repairs to the dwelling. Overcrowding may not be a result of any exchange and some dwellings may not be deemed acceptable for children younger than 10 years of age. The Council may designate certain dwellings specifically for certain age groups such as elderly people. Funds are not to exchange hands to promote an exchange of dwellings.


If either tenant applying for a Mutual Exchange scheme is subject to a Notice of Seeking Possession or a County Court Possession Order she would be disqualified. The tenant seeking to apply for the exchange is refused participation if he has a person (including offspring) residing with him who has an Anti-Social Behavior Order against him. The needs of the proposed tenant are not suitably met by the accommodation and could result in either under- or overcrowding.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author

Keith Allen, a 1979 graduate of Valley City State College, has worked at a variety of jobs including computer operator, medical clinic manager, radio talk show host and potato sorter. For over five years he has worked as a newspaper reporter and historic researcher. His works have appeared in regional newspapers in North Dakota and in "North Dakota Horizons" and "Cowboys and Indians" magazines.

Try our awesome promobar!