When you sign over the title, or deed, of your house, you are transferring ownership to another individual and relinquishing your rights to the property. Transferring ownership is accomplished by executing a "quitclaim deed." This is a legal document used for the transfer of property from one person to another. There are a few situations in which you may wish to sign over your house to someone else. If you are a parent, you may choose to sign over your house to your children, or one spouse can use a quitclaim deed to transfer ownership of property to the other spouse in a divorce.

Remove your name from the mortgage. Signing over the title of your house does not remove you from the mortgage or from your obligation to the lender. Typically, lenders will require the other person to refinance the home to remove your name from the loan, even if that person's name is on it already. This is the only way to eliminate your financial obligations associated with the property.

Prepare a quitclaim deed through a title company, paralegal or attorney. An attorney is the costliest option. As long as there are no special circumstances involved, you may be able to obtain a standard form from a reputable online legal document service. You should have the form checked by a paralegal or title company prior to filing it to make sure that it complies with all of the requirements of your state.

Identify the granter (you or the person signing over the house) and the grantee (the person to whom the deed is being transferred). Include both parties' permanent residence addresses and relationship to each other.

Provide a legal description of the property. This will include the city and county where the house is located, as well as the annual property tax amount. You also will need to provide the house address and lot number, which may be found on your property tax bill.

Supply the name and address of the person requesting the recording of the quit claim deed. Most likely, this will be the granter. Record the address to which tax statements will be sent after the title is transferred.

Sign the document in front of a notary public, who is someone legally authorised to witness signatures and verify the validity of a document. Typically, only the granter is required to sign the deed, but some states require both the granter and grantee to sign. If there is more than one granter, all of them need to be present.

File the deed with the local county recorder's office. They will charge a fee to record the document (enter it into the public record) to finalise transfer of the property. Once the deed is final, the transfer is complete. You will no longer own the property or have any rights to it.