Many people have static caravans, also known as mobile homes or trailers, in the countryside or by the beach to use for a vacation. If you no longer use the caravan, it may make sense to transfer ownership to someone in your family who is interested in utilising it. Such transfers necessitate the use of a quitclaim deed. This legal document is generally used when real estate property is to be transferred between close family members.

Decide who the Grantee will be. Ask people in your family if they are interested in getting ownership of your static caravan. Give complete information about the property and explain your reasons for deciding to transfer ownership.

Research legal requirements. There is some compensation that a grantee can provide to the person granting the ownership. This is called 'consideration'. Although it is possible to achieve a transfer without consideration, it may have tax implications. Check with a taxation expert to help you decide about this aspect.

Prepare a quitclaim deed. Consult a lawyer to formulate the deed. Provide property details of the static caravan you wish to transfer. Give the complete and correct name of the person you're going to grant it to. Furnish details of the consideration fixed.

Sign the deed. Affix your signature to the quitclaim deed and have it notarised. If your lawyer specifies a need for witnesses to be present during your signing, make arrangements accordingly. Hand over the deed to the Grantee and collect the consideration.

Record the deed. Although it is not mandatory, it is advisable to record the quitclaim deed. Do this immediately after the Grantee accepts the deed. This will help to prevent anyone else from claiming title to the static caravan in the future.


The Grantor who is transferring ownership can be a person or any entity that has a legal right to own real estate -- a partnership, trust, corporation or an LLC. The same applies to the Grantee, too. Receiving ownership through a quitclaim deed does not directly make the static caravan the Grantee's property unless all parties who have an interest in it also sign the deed. In most states, acceptance of the quitclaim deed is the end of the process of transferring ownership. Find out if there are any other specific requirements where you live by contacting your state's Department of Housing and Community Development.