How to Transfer a Home Deed From Parents to a Child

As a parent, you may have several reasons for transferring your home deed to your adult child. Perhaps you plan on moving into a smaller home or a nursing home but want the house to remain in the family, rather than sold to a stranger. Signing your house over to your child accomplishes this goal. Or maybe an illness prevents you from maintaining the home properly, so a transfer of the deed to your child transfers the responsibility to him while you recuperate. Whatever the reason, transferring the home deed to your child is a relatively easy process that you can accomplish without court hearings, lawyers or huge legal fees.

Pay off the mortgage loan on your home, if one exists, as well as any liens on the property.

Gather all documentation for the property.

Obtain a quitclaim deed form from the register of deeds, typically located in the courthouse of the county in which your property is located. The name of the office may vary by state, yet all function to maintain public records of real estate and property.

Fill in all required information on the quitclaim deed form. This includes your full legal name and the full legal names of any other persons listed as owners of the property, the address and legal description of the property and the legal name or names of the adult child or children to whom you are transferring the home deed.

Locate a notary public, and sign the quitclaim deed form in the presence of the notary public.

File the completed quitclaim deed form at the register of deeds office.


When you have completed your home deed transfer, review your will for needed changes.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

Things Needed

  • Quitclaim deed
  • Notary public

About the Author

Maelin McCartney began writing professionally in 2010. She holds undergraduate degrees from Hastings College in health and developmental psychology, family studies psychology, personality and social psychology and sociology with an emphasis in criminal justice. She is currently pursuing a master’s degree in counseling at Doane University.

Try our awesome promobar!