The Home Category The Home: family money matters

How to transfer land ownership

When it comes to selling your house or a piece of land to another person, several questions may arise. The process of transferring land ownership is not all that difficult if done correctly the first time. However, the individual must ensure that he has all documents in order so he can quickly transfer land ownership. The process of transferring a piece of property includes yourself (the granter), the buyer (the grantee), a notary public, and possibly an attorney.

Gather any and all necessary paperwork that you may have for the land. These include the Deed papers, which are the official documents that proves that you are the owner of the land or property, as well as any mortgage papers, which sets forth the loan agreement and how much is currently owed on the land.

Decide which type of deed you, the granter, will be transferring to the other individual, the grantee. The main types of deeds can be classified as a Grant Deed, Warranty Deed, Quitclaim Deed, Tax Deed, or a Gift Deed. The Quitclaim and Grant deed are the two most common that individuals use. A Grant Deed conveys the message that the Grantor has not sold the property to anyone else and everything about the property has been disclosed. On the other hand, a Quitclaim Deed is more of a formality that one person might sign in the midst of a divorce to relinquish any claim one might have against a house or property.

Go to an attorney with the grantee and bring all the necessary paperwork. Your attorney will draw up the actual deed document. Most attorneys are registered as notary publics and can notarise the deed forms that you sign, but if the attorney is not registered as a notary, you must find one.

Take the official Deed Document that your attorney prepared and schedule an appointment with a notary public. (A notary public can be found in banks or in local phone books.)

Bring yourself and the grantee with the actual Deed Document to your meeting with the notary public. The notary will witness your signature as well as the signature of the grantee.

Have the land ownership deed officially "recorded" in the county where the land resides by taking the deed to the County Recorder's Office and requesting that it be recorded. County Recorders' offices are oftentimes located near or inside a courthouse, and can be found in your local phone book.


In some States it is not necessary to have Deed signatures notarised, but it is usually suggested so that any potential problems down the road can be avoided.

Things Needed

  • Deed forms
  • The grantee
  • Yourself (granter)