The Home Category The Home: family money matters

How to transfer the title of a house to children

As adults age and decide to downsize their living accommodations, they may wish to transfer the title of their house to their children.

Transferring the title to a child or children can help protect property in certain situations, such as keeping it from being used to pay nursing home expenses. There are straightforward ways to transfer the title of your home, just make sure to consider the situation carefully before doing so.

Prepare a deed. According to, you need a deed to transfer the title to a house. There are different types of deeds that can be used depending on the individual situation. A quitclaim deed is used to transfer or "quit" an interest in a property, and they are often used to transfer a house title from a parent to a child or children. A quitclaim deed can be self-prepared or prepared by a real estate attorney or title company.

Sign the deed. In some cases, only the granter, or person releasing ownership of the title, is required to sign the prepared deed in front of a notary public. In other cases, the grantee, or person acquiring the house title, must sign the document in addition to the granter. In Arkansas, Georgia, Michigan, Ohio, South Carolina and Vermont the deed must also be signed by a specified number of witnesses before it can be considered complete.

File the quitclaim deed in your locality. You will have to file the deed in one of numerous offices, depending on your locality. Such offices are commonly known as the county clerk's office, register of deeds, county recorder's office or the land registry office. The deed must be submitted to the land records office in the county or city where the property is.

Follow up to ensure that the paperwork has been processed. After the quitclaim deed has been filed and recorded with the county, it may be sent to the grantee, granter or title insurance company. The new owner should contact the land records office to ensure that the paperwork has been processed.


  • A person must be at least 18 to assume the title of a house. For anyone younger than 18, a conservatorship can be established prior to completing a quitclaim deed.