You may need a letter proving your residency if you apply for school, a driver's license or other item that requires you to prove where you reside. There are two ways to write a statement to show residency.

Write a formal letter based on the relationship between parties, such as with correspondence between a customer and a business. Use an affidavit, which is a statement of truth, for legal purposes such as depositions and public notaries. Ask the person who is writing your letter to follow the standard acceptable format of either the letter or the affidavit.

Insert, on the top left-hand side of the letter or affidavit, the name, address and primary telephone number of the person writing hte letter. Align these lines to the left. Skip a line between each line in the heading.

Begin your letter with "To Whom It May Concern" or "Dear Sir/Madam."

Insert the first paragraph for the standard formal letter, which will read, "This letter is to verify that (your name) is an occupant of residential property (address) since (month and year). He (or she) pays (monetary amount) per (month/day/year)."

End the standard letter with, "If you have any other questions or need any other relevant documentation, please feel free to contact me at the information provided above."

Skip a line after the final paragraph, and type "Sincerely," flush with the left margin. Skip two or three lines for a signature and then type the name of the person signing the letter.

Print the letter and havce the person verifying your residence sign in ink between "Sincerely" and the typed name.

Complete an affidavit by entering the following instead of the letter's first paragraph: "I, (name of person verifying residency), of (primary address), hereby state that (your name) is my (tenant/child/relative, etc,.) and resides with me at the address mentioned above." No other information is necessary unless requested.

Close your affidavit with "Sincerely," as you did the letter. Skip two or three lines and type the person's name who is verifying your residency.

Notarise the affidavit if required. If you do use a notary, have the person signing the letter do so in the presence of the notary herself.


If you are providing proof of your own residency, use a utility bill that includes your name and address, along with photo identification (ID, driver's license or passport). In some cases, you may also use a current pay stub with your address as proof.