Army Welfare Service Jobs

The U.S. Army employs thousands of people as social workers, counsellors, psychologists and other social assistance staff members. These employees work with active military personnel as well as veterans and military families. The majority of these jobs require a bachelor's or master's degree in social work or a related field, and there are openings across the country and overseas.

Social Worker

The exact duties of a social worker in the Army change depending on the location of the position; some social workers have the opportunity to participate in special treatment programs as well. The general social worker job description requires employees to use their full range of training to work with individuals, families and groups in developing cases and providing therapy. Social workers work with liaisons from other departments when issues of drug abuse or abuse within the family arise.

Occupational Therapist

Occupational therapists work with multidisciplinary teams that treat patients with complex and multifaceted injuries and other medical issues. Therapists design treatment programs for patients and teach patients coping skills and alternative methods to achieve daily tasks, as well as self-care, with the goal of restoring occupational ability. Occupational therapists must have completed a curriculum approved by the American Occupational Therapy Association.


Psychological counsellors work primarily with individual service personnel, and occasionally with groups or with other Army personnel. Counsellors use therapy techniques to develop perspective on the patients, issues in their lives and their needs. When applicable, counsellors use these perspectives to establish treatment goals. Counsellors may also conduct family therapy and should be prepared to provide social, occupational and psychological therapy using the full breadth of their training.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author

Calla Hummel is a doctoral student studying contraband in international political economy. She supplements her student stipend by writing about personal finance and working as a consultant, as well as hoping that her investments will pan out.

Try our awesome promobar!