How to change your name on a mortgage deed

Changing your name on a mortgage deed to a home is usually a relatively simple process. This is a frequent occurrence, as people get married and change their names with great regularity. However, these is a difference between changing your name on a recorded mortgage and changing your name on a deed to a home.

Contact your mortgage lender to change your name on a recorded mortgage. A lender holding your mortgage must have your correct name. Fax or bring in your IDs to confirm the name change and your lender will be able to change your name electronically in their system. You are now in compliance.

Collect your birth certificate and forms of ID. Contact a local title company. (You may be able to use the same company that conducted your title search and extended insurance on your existing mortgage. Contact your mortgage lender for their contact information.) You need the help of a title attorney to change the name on the deed of your property.

Schedule a meeting with a title abstractor at the company. Make sure to bring all necessary documents to confirm your new name--the title attorney will provide the necessary conveyance documents to officially record the name on the deed to the property.

Fill out the conveyance form with the title attorney. Make sure to make photocopies of your birth certificate and forms of ID. Your attorney may need to retain copies of these for his records. The title abstractor will then record this form at the Registry of Deeds.

Confirm that your name has been changed two weeks later. Visit the Registry of Deeds for your particular town or city. Look up your name and address, find the deed to the home and make sure your name is now correctly displayed.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

Things Needed

  • Two forms of ID confirming the new name
  • Birth certificate
  • Recording and attorney fees ($50 to £130)

About the Author

Based in Eugene, Ore., Duncan Jenkins has been writing finance-related articles since 2008. His specialties include personal finance advice, mortgage/equity loans and credit management. Jenkins obtained his bachelor's degree in English from Clark University.

Try our awesome promobar!