The Home Category The Home: family money matters

How to Transfer Property to a Spouse

When two people marry, part of the unification is to share property and assets. Marriage by itself, however, does not entitle your spouse to property you hold in your own name, unless you divorce, in which case, the courts can, in certain instances, award nonmarital property to your spouse.

If you want your spouse to share title to your property, you must transfer it to him or her. For land transfers, a deed is required.

Speak to the clerk at the property records office located in the county where the property is situated, and ask for a blank deed form. Quitclaim deeds are commonly used because they are short, easy to fill out and only transfer title.

Fill in your name on the lines before "grantor." While deed forms vary from state to state, most deed forms include a line for the property owner's name followed by an identifier: granter. The granter is the person giving title away.

Fill in your name and your spouse's name on the lines before the word "grantee." The grantee is the person, or persons, receiving title. Adding both of your names on the lines before grantee gives you each an equal claim to the property.

Sign the deed in the presence of a notary public.

File a copy of the deed with your county recorder's office. Keep the original copy of the deed as evidence that you and your spouse have title to the property.

Things Needed

  • Deed form