Banking Category Banking: the easy, simple banking guide

How to find hidden bank accounts

You may need to find hidden bank accounts for any number of reasons, including divorce. While your spouse is supposed to provide all bank account during the mandatory disclosure phase, that sometimes does not happen.

The banks cannot give you this information. You will need to find it on your own. There are places you can look to find bank account numbers or other references to bank accounts.

Go through all of the mandatory disclosure and review all bank statements provided. Make a notation of the bank account numbers, routing numbers, name of the bank and date of the statements.

If you are missing any monthly statements, request that those statements be provided.

Review the statements carefully. Look for transfers to other bank accounts. When you find a transfer, check the stack of statements to be sure you have the statements from that bank account.

If you do not have the statement for that particular bank account, make a notation of all the information you have, including the amount that was transferred into or out of the bank account.

Check tax returns for automatic deposits to a bank account. Match the routing number and the bank account number to the statements you have on hand. Make a notation as to which statement it is, if you have that particular statement. If not, make a notation of the bank account number and routing number.

Check the computer used for online banking for references to bank accounts in the browser history and cookies.

Check business filings to see if there is a business registered in the person’s name. Chances are, if there is a business, there is a business account.

Check any other financial documents produced for references to bank accounts.

Check a listing of the contents of any safe deposit boxes for references to bank account statements. This information may also be subpoenaed.

Do a Request for Production to obtain the bank statements from the other party. If the other party still does not produce the bank statements, you will have to get a court order for those statements.