Who Can I Sue If Information Is Wrongly Reported on My Credit Report?

Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), the credit reporting agency and the reporting organisation are responsible for information in a consumer's credit report. If they fail to correct the inaccurate information when a consumer disputes it, the consumer has a right to file a lawsuit against one or both of them.

Obtaining Credit Reports

Everyone is entitled to one free credit report per calendar year from each of the three credit bureaus. Request reports from the credit bureaus to have a full picture of your credit situation. Companies may only report information to one or two of them. Review the information and note the inaccuracies, such as incorrectly reported late payments, collection accounts that have been closed and accounts affected by or opened as a result of identity theft. File a dispute with the credit bureau and the reporting company in writing and explain why you believe the information is not correct. Include copies of any supporting documents. When filing a dispute of accounts affected by identity theft, a consumer must include a police report.


The credit bureau has 30 days to investigate. It contacts the reporting organisation, which either confirms or corrects the information it provided. When the investigation is complete, the credit bureau must send the consumer a written report with a decision either to uphold or correct the disputed information. If a consumer disagrees with the decision, he has a right to request any documents relating to the investigation. He can request to have a free credit report mailed to those agencies which have requested your credit file within six months.

Filing a Lawsuit

You have a right to file a lawsuit against the credit reporting agency and the information provider if they do not comply with the Fair Credit Reporting Act. If not satisfied with the results of a dispute investigation, you must send the credit bureau and the reporting organisation a notice of the intent to file a lawsuit. Keeping accurate and detailed information of all communications is the key to winning. A qualified attorney will advise how to proceed. A judgment in a consumer's favour must include attorney's fees and may include other compensation for damages determined by the court.

Reporting Credit Reporting Violations

The Federal Trade Commission recommends that any violations of Fair Credit Reporting Act be reported directly to the FTC. By filing a complaint, consumers help stop fraudulent and unfair business practices. When filing a complaint, one must include copies of the supporting documents to help the FTC conduct a thorough investigation.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author

Julianne Russ has been a freelance writer since 2009. She specializes in articles about banking, management, foreign languages and education. She has a Bachelor of Arts in international management from Hamline University in St. Paul, Minn.

Try our awesome promobar!