How to find my complete tax history

Contacting the IRS directly is the easiest and most dependable way to find your complete tax history. The IRS offers two options for receiving a copy of your tax history: by phone or by mail. The best news? It's free.

Call 1-800-829-1040.

Listen to the options and choose "Questions about your personal income taxes." Press 2.

Press 2 again ("For questions about a form you have already submitted, your tax history or payment").

Press 3 ("For all questions, including tax history and payment").

Press 2 ("For all other questions, including tax history and payment").

You will be prompted to enter your Social Security number and address. Then you will be given a wait time. This could be quite long, so be prepared. When your wait is up, request transcripts of your tax history from the IRS agent who answers.

Log onto,,id=110571,00.html

Open the link titled IRS Form 4506T (Request for Transcript of Tax Return).

Print this form, and fill it out.

Mail the form to the location that applies to you (locations are listed on the second page of the form). You should receive your tax history in about two weeks.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

Things Needed

  • Phone (if you choose this method)
  • IRS Form 4506T, "Request for Transcript of Tax Return"
  • Pen

About the Author

Nicole Crawford is a NASM-certified personal trainer, doula and pre/post-natal fitness specialist. She is studying to be a nutrition coach and RYT 200 yoga teacher. Nicole contributes regularly at Breaking Muscle and has also written for "Paleo Magazine," The Bump and Fit Bottomed Mamas.

Try our awesome promobar!