Tax Category Tax: calculations, VAT, self-employment tips and more

How to File Tax Returns in the UK

In the United Kingdom you can file your tax return online or by post. If you are sending a paper copy of your tax return, it is due by midnight the night of Oct. 31.

If you are filing online, your tax return is due by midnight the night of Jan. 31.

If you miss the deadline, you will be automatically fined 100 British pounds. In the UK, the tax year is from April 6 to April 5.

Register for an account with HM Revenue & Customs if you are filing online. Go to the account set-up page (see References). Click "Register" under the "New User" column to start an account.

Answer the questions on each page to continue setting up your account. You will be asked if the account is for an individual or a business and which services you'd like to use. The Self Assessment option is for the personal tax return and the other options are for different types of VAT.

Enter your e-mail address to set up an account. You also will need to create a password. Enter your Unique Taxpayer Reference and either your National Insurance Number or your Postcode when prompted. You will receive an activation pin by e-mail that you use to log into your account.

Fill out the Self Assessment form online and the program will automatically tell you what amount you owe in taxes. You can submit and pay your taxes online using a debit card. You will receive an electronic receipt once your tax return is received.

Get your Self Assessment form by calling 0845 9000 404 or by ordering it online (see Reference). You might also automatically receive your Self Assessment form by mail in April if you have filed a paper tax return before.

Make a cheque payable to "HM Revenue and Customs only" and include your payslip with your cheque. Your payment is due by Jan. 31, but you must file your paper return by Oct. 31. You do not have to include your payment when you file your return. You also can make your payment by taking your payslip to a post office and making a cheque payable to "Post Office Ltd."

Send your completed tax return to:

HM Revenue & Customs


BD98 1YY

You will send your payment to the same address.

Things Needed

  • Personal tax information
  • Unique Taxpayer Reference